20 June 2007

Bathing suit, schmathing suit

Warning to all guys who might be reading my blog: this may not be an enjoyable post for you. You're welcome to check in at another date. :)

OK ladies...I have suffered another shopping-for-myself defeat. It is clearly summer and I, as many of my friends in NC can attest to because of my absence during pool playgroup, STILL do not have a bathing suit.

This is for 3 reasons:
1) I can't justify spending the money...I WANT to, but the guilt of paying some swimsuit prices would just be too much for me to bear,
2) who REALLY wants to try on bathing suits, especially when that wonderful moment would probably happen with two toddlers accompanying her to the dressing room (one of which might be a little girl much like my daughter, capable of sharing embarrassing information no one would want a total stranger knowing (Mommy? Why are your legs bumpy?! Are those your "marks"? Did you get a boobie? (her word for "boo boo")), and
3) nothing fits quite like I'm sure the designer intended for it to, which only highlights the fact that gravity and Chick-Fil-A fries and sweet tea are winning.

The option of being a rebel by just NOT getting a bathing suit and foregoing all the fun at the pool is not an option. It would be unusual punishment for my poor Olivia. So, I decided today would be the day I would find something suitable to wear (no pun intended!) Off to TJ Maxx! Surely there would be something reasonably priced and somewhat stylish for me there, right?

Well, we get there and walk through the kids section first (I'm such a sucker, but I had to exchange a few things so...you know) and with much ease was able to pick out something for each of them. Then over to the bathing suit section. Slim pickings...in every meaning of the word "slim"...but I salvaged what looked like a cute halter one piece and, oh, what a cute little sun dress...I'll take that too.

I opted to forego the dressing room experience and just take it back if it didn't work. So, once I got the little angels all nice and cozy in their beds, I sashay into my room grab the bathing suit and proceed to wrestle it into place. Uh...this seems a bit low in the front...let's look in the mirror. I honestly looked like I could have been the woman trying to seduce the pool boy. Eeew! Oh well...I still have the dress... I slip the cute little bohemian-style sundress over my head and magically was transformed into Mama Cass. (Sigh...)

So, I guess I will continue my search...on-line...

18 comments:

Topharmers Wife said...

Listen woman...J.Crew....They are expensive but totally worth it. Somehow it sucks my "twinskin" in, and I don't feel like such a fatty. Plus they last forever. And since it is online you don't have to worry about the peanut gallery commenting on the damage that they have done!(and dressing rooms are NASTY anyways!)

erin said...

Hey Liann...I'm one of your readers now :). Check out this link!! This is the top I got this year, the matching bottoms are somewhere on here too...great for minimizing the not so flat, just-had-a-baby belly that I carry around these days. Oh, and did I mention the strech marks?? Covered. Not Jcrew quality but I've been happy with it. Good luck!

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/ref=br_1_4/601-4640772-6031348?ie=UTF8&frombrowse=1&asin=B000KPV2X4

Anonymous said...

I had luck with lands end at Sears. It was $100 though. maegan

Ashleigh said...

LiAnn, I am SO in the same boat. I don't wear a swimming suit enough to justify spending a lot on one (after all, it is winter here for about 7 to 8 months out of the year), but I do need to spend something on a suit.

We are headed to Denver soon for a couple days and spending some time at the pool has been mentioned. All I have in my closet is my maternity suit and one that was pre-baby. Yet I dread having to take two toddlers into the dressing room with me. But on the other hand, I don't think I can pick one out without actually trying it on. Alas!

Michelle said...

Ugh. Bathing suit shopping has got to be one of the - if not the - worst experiences ever. Torture. I will be interceding on your behalf.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Oh, I hear ya on the bathing suit trials. I had luck with the Target Women's size bathingsuits...I'm not a plus size, but you know how bathing suits go...anyway, I liked it because it offered more support, coverage, and was only $30. :)

Unknown said...

Try these...

http://www.shadeclothing.com/



http://diviinemodestee.com


http://modbeclothing.com

Diane said...

LiAnn,

I order a bunch from Lands End, try them on at home and return what I don't want to Sears. They are pricey but they last.

Judy said...

How about trying on bathing suits with someone named Ruth in the dressing room.... "Ewwwww" is what she said when I took my clothes off!!!! Ha.

Like Ashleigh said, it's winter here pretty much all the time except June, July, & August, so I can't justify spending any money on bathing suits that don't get worn. Besides I can't seem to find any that flatter my raisin boobs.

Happy shopping.

The Nilsen Nest said...

You are a stinking riot!

Wendy said...

Yeah, gave up the whole bathing suit thing a while back. I rank it right up there with shopping for shoes. Not to offend shoe people, but size 11 come in one style...UGLY!

Here's to hoping that you will find the perfect suit!

Jennifer said...

Um, yeah, honey, I am right there with you. I have a bathingsuit that came from I don't know where that I manage to wear... I mean I've spent most of my marriage pregnant... so what's a woman to do? I'll be praying that you find the right something. I'm wondering if I shall venture to Land's End online. It might be expensive... but I have a week at a beach house... Wratten family reunion... and did I also fail to mention several days in California... maybe I do need to spend a little money so I don't look like frump mom. Get something that works and cover up if need be girl. Don't deprive Olivia of prime pool time :) Hee hee.

I love you LiAnn. Excited about your blog!


JL

Kate Van said...

LiAnn,
great post-no one likes shopping for bathing suit shopping or rather trying-on! Last year I wore a bikini top with a tank top over it all summer- not very cute, but it worked. Miss you!

Bethany said...

I have a Modbe suit that I love and just saw their line for this year in person...it is adorable.

AmyB said...

LiAnn, awe man, bathing suit shopping is the WORST! At least you're a nice mom -my poor kids hardly know what a pool is...same deal, can't ever find a suit that fits and hate to spend $100 on one that I wear twice a year.

Judy, I have to say I laughed outloud at the "Ruth comment" and then I laughed even harder about not being able to find something flattering for your "raisin boobs". I'm with you on that one!

Billie said...

This is a funny post. I am right there with you Amy...laughing at Judy's comments. I am still laughing...Liann, i would go with a Modbe one. My sister has two and when we went on vacation I wore hers because I loved it. Or Lands End..I have heard alot of good things about their suits. Anyway, happy hunting.

granny911 said...

I can REALLY feel your pain and frustration!! Menopause has left me weighing more than my father-in-law....and I'm certain that none of the bathing suit designers had that in mind when they were creating!!! But, alas, I too decided to continue my search online....and found a really cute suit at J.C. Penny, and it fit!!!!! Amazing!!! Happy hunting!! Jay