One day, not too long ago, Olivia and her family went out for a glorious day. With "Sucker" (an endearing name for her pacifier borrowed from good friends of ours in VA) and "Fuzzy" (her securitey blanket), she was ready for the adventure that lay ahead. Sadly, for our fair heroine, tragedy was also on the horizon.
They all stopped for lunch that day and ate in a sunny little courtyard with a pond and geese nearby. Olivia was so excited about the possibility of feeding the geese later, but her mother and father were not as thrilled. Geese are nasty noisy creatures known to attack fair maidens. As a distraction, they decided to go shopping, which was an exciting proposition for the Little Princess. However, there was a condition. "Olivia, we will go shopping in that little store over there, but you must behave. And if you do, you can win a prize." (Yeah...so we bribed her...it doesn't ALWAYS happen that way...)
All went well as the happy group looked around that little store...and as their escapade came to an end, our prima donna learned she had won her prize. What a triumph! So great was her excitement that as she was given her cookie, she spit out Sucker onto the pavement and didn't bat an eye. And neither did her cunning parents...as they quickened their pace and devised a story to explain the fate that befell their daughter's cherished soother.
As soon as they arrived at their "coach", she requested her usual. "Mama, my Fuzzy and Sucker, pease?" With much compassion, her mother turned and told her...that the Sucker Fairies had come and taken Sucker back to her home. What horror! A grievous event that she lamented over...for only a few days. But at that moment, the world stopped spinning and life was pale and bland.
That was about 6 months ago.
Now...about her shoes. A pair of shoes, which must have some sort of magical quality to them, was bestowed upon her one fateful Christmas morning by her Aunt Meghan. Though Olivia wasn't able to wear them for almost two years, the virtue of those shoes was not lost because now they don the name "Princess Shoes" and she wears them EVERYWHERE...most outings, out in the dusty backyard to play, to the POOL! She has even passed on this phenomenon to one of her close friends, who will remain anonymous, because as her mother would say, the Princess Shoes are more like "Shoes of Sin". Which may be quite fitting as a description for Olivia's Princess Shoes...I don't know...you decide as you peruse this recent photo of the once very cute and stylish ballet flats that my daughter adores. Take a gander...
Yes, they are black as soot inside and have...well...a very undelightful odor to them. I'm sure hidden within the stench and darkness is either the cure for cancer or a pandemic disease. Plus, they are at least a whole size too small. So, I gathered the courage one day to tell her what might need to happen very soon. "Olivia," I said, in a very serious and compassionate tone, "I think that the Princess Shoe Fairies are coming to take your Princess Shoes away." This was her response..."NOOOOO!!! They took my sucker!"





13 comments:
LiAnn, so cute!! I got a laugh out of that -it's always amazing to me what kids remember and how they piece events together in their heads. Really cute! Hugs!
so funny! you are a great story teller! olivia is halarious! though sin-filled as all of our kiddos are, God has really given her a great gift of humorous/expressive personality!:)it will be so neat to see how as she grows God uses this gift for His glory!!!!
Avery loves her shoes of sin, probably because they are pink, sparkly, and Princess Olivia gave them to her!
Olivia says it best, she really is a "piece of work"!
Eileen...don't be giving away part of my next story! Girrrrl...
HAHAHAHA! Just like you told it, but just as funny! Well, you'll have to prepare yourself for the next sinfilled object once her toes can't fit in the sin shoes anymore. Maybe a DRESS! THAT will be FUN!
Ha. Ha. Cute LiAnn.
LiAnne- you're killing me. I'm reading it just as if you were saying it out loud. That was fantastic. I laughed really loud for a while. I think Mike was worried about my sanity and i then explained and told him I was reading one of your posts. I guess that was enough of an explanation.
I love your stories. You really are great at telling them.
I love you.
JL
Ha! Funny. Why don't you show her a picture of Nicholas wearing the rubber frog boots & tell them that the shoe fairies took those too.
LiAnn! I just found your blog :) I love your stories! hehe
This is random to ask on your blog but I don't have your e-mail or phone #. We're going to Napa valley for our honeymoon. Could you recommend some restaurants/wineries/things to do??? You can just post on my blog or send me a message via facebook.
Love you!
Katie-girl, Send me a "poke" on facebook and I'll fill you in on the goods. We went to Sonoma and I'm not completley sure how far the two valleys are away from each other, but it might be fun to venture over and see a winery or two over there. We'll talk! ;)
hey liann,
how have you been? we miss you!!
~Reaghan
You're going to have one MAD daughter when she figures out that fairies aren't real. I wish you lived closer so that I might know this darling diva! She sounds delightful. Maegan
Very funny!
Post a Comment